Wikipedia:Fale fakataha

Mei he Wikipedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wikipedia-logo-to.png

Tau talanoa ki he wiki koʻeni. ʻOua te ke mā, tānaki haʻo lau ʻi he pēsí ni (kau ʻetita ʻoku kau ki ai pē). Kā ko e laupisi, kapekape, mo e hā fua, ʻe toʻo kinautolu.

Lea fakatonga pē[edit source]

ʻIo, kae kapau ʻoku ʻi ai ha kupu fakamānako maʻa e kau muli, tānaki foki ʻa e kupu ʻi he lea fakapilitania. ʻOku sai ʻa e kupu nounou, ʻoku sai ange ʻa e kupu kakato. Vakai ki he tokoni maʻa ʻene fēfē.

Sipela totonu[edit source]

Kātaki ngāueʻaki ʻa e sipela totonu: ʻa e ʻū fakauʻa, toloi mo e fakamamafa, hangē naʻe tuʻutuʻuni ia ʻi he tikisinale ʻo Churchward. Ko e tohi ʻilo, ko Wikipedia ia, ʻe pau ke faʻifaʻitakiʻanga moʻotautolu ʻa e ngaahi kupu ʻeni hangē ha tohi fakamoʻoniʻanga. ʻIo, ko koe, kātaki tokoni mai ʻi hono ngāue fatu fakaleleiange.

ʻOua ʻe ngāueʻaki koe mo e palausa motuʻa, ko ia MS Internet explorer. ʻOku ʻikai lava ia ʻo ʻasi ha fakauʻa. ʻOku ʻi ai lahi palausa foʻou, taʻetotongi. Feinga ko Firefox.

Fealēleaʻaki[edit source]

Ko e tohi hokohoko ʻo e ngaahi fealēleaʻaki kehekehe ʻoku lolotonga pea kuo hili Wikipedia talk:Mumui Tupouʻila Mapatongiamanu

Liliu fakatonga[edit source]

ʻOku lahi ngaahi kupu ʻi he Wikipedia fakapilitania ʻe pau ke liliu ʻi he lea fakatonga. ʻIo, ko koe, kātaki tokoni mai ʻi hono ngāue fatu fakaleleiange. Kamata mo e hokohoko koʻeni. ʻOsi he kupu, toʻo ia mei he lisí ni.

The LocalisationUpdate extension has gone live[edit source]

The LocalisationUpdate extension is now enabled for all Wikimedia projects. From now on new localisations that become available in SVN will become available to your project within 24 hours. Your localisations get into SVN from translatewiki.net typically within a day and at worst in two days. This is a huge improvement from the old practice where the localisations became available with new software. This could take weeks, even months.

The localisations done by our community at translatewiki.net are committed to SVN typically every day. When the system messages in English are the same as the local messages, they will now be inserted in a file and are available for use in all our projects in a timely manner

What this means for you[edit source]

Local messages have an impact on the performance of our system. It is best when messages are as much as possible part of the system messages. In order to remove unnecessary duplication, all the messages that have a local localisation and are exactly the same as the system message will be removed. What we ask you to do is to compare and proof read the messages in translatewiki.net and the local messages. You can then either remove local messages when the translatewiki.net message is to be preferred or, you can update the message at translatewiki.net.

Messages that are specific to your project will have to stay as they are. You do want to check if the format and the variables of the message are still the same.

Why localise at translatewiki.net[edit source]

When you localise at translatewiki.net, your messages will be used in all Wikimedia projects and eventually in all MediaWiki based projects. This is how we provide the standard support for your language. When messages change, at translatewiki.net you will be prompted to revisit your translations. Localising is more efficient because we have innovated the process to make you more efficient; there is text explaining about messages and we have applied AJAX technology to reduce the number of clicks you have to make.

Translatewiki.net update[edit source]

  • Currently 38.31% of the MediaWiki messages and 1.03% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Please help us help your language by localising and proof reading at translatewiki.net. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 19:55, 30 Sēpitema 2009 (UTC)[reply]
  • Currently 37.81% of the MediaWiki messages and 0.99% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Please help us help your language by localising and proof reading at translatewiki.net. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 18:04, 1 Nōvema 2009 (UTC)[reply]
  • Currently 38.55% of the MediaWiki messages and 1.04% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Please help us help your language by localising and proof reading at translatewiki.net. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 13:51, 14 Tisema 2009 (UTC)[reply]
  • Currently 38.39% of the MediaWiki messages and 0.98% of the messages of the extensions used by the Wikimedia Foundation projects have been localised. Please help us help your language by localising and proof reading at translatewiki.net. This is the recent localisation activity for your language. Thanks, GerardM 13:43, 25 Sānuali 2010 (UTC)[reply]

How can we improve the usability for your language[edit source]

We expect that with the implementation of LocalisationUpdate the usability of MediaWiki for your language will improve. We are now ready to look at other aspects of usability for your language as well. There are two questions we would like you to answer: Are there issues with the new functionality of the Usability Initiative Does MediaWiki support your language properly

The best way to answer the first question is to visit the translatewiki.net. Change the language to your language, select the “vector” skin and add the advanced tool bar in in the preferences and check out the new functionality. And make some changes in your user page. When there is a need to improve on the localisation, please make the necessary changess . It should update your localisation straight away. We would like you to report each issue individually at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Usability_issues.

When there are problems with the support of MediaWiki for your language, we really want to know about this. It is best to report each issue separately. In this way there will be no large mass of issues to resolve but we can address each issue on its own. Consider issues with the display of characters, the presentation of your script, the position of the side bar, the combination of text with other languages, scripts. It is best to try this in an environment like the prototype wiki as it provides you with a clean, basic and up to date environment. The prototype wiki is available for five languages but you can select any of them, change the preferences to your language and test out MediaWiki for your language.

We would like you to report each issue individually at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language_issues. The issues you raise will all be assessed. It is important to keep each issue separate, because this will make it easier to understand the issues and find solutions.

PS This text has been approved by Naoko, Brion and Siebrand. Thanks, GerardM 19:55, 30 Sēpitema 2009 (UTC)[reply]

Greetings[edit source]

Hi, I'm new here. My home wiki is id.wp (greetings from Indonesia!). I'm planning to help monitor the recentchanges here. Thanks. Bennylin 06:33, 3 Fēpueli 2011 (UTC)[reply]

Terms of Use update[edit source]

The Wikimedia Foundation is discussing changes to its Terms of Use. The discussion can be found at Talk:Terms of use. Everyone is invited to join in. Because the new version of Terms of use is not in final form, we are not able to present official translations of it. Volunteers are welcome to translate it, as German volunteers have done at m:Terms of use/de, but we ask that you note at the top that the translation is unofficial and may become outdated as the English version is changed. The translation request can be found at m:Translation requests/WMF/Terms of Use 2 -- Maggie Dennis, Community Liaison 01:20, 27 ʻOkatopa 2011 (UTC)[reply]

recovered --Tauʻolunga 05:28, 3 Nōvema 2011 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor and your Wikipedia[edit source]

(Please translate this message)

Greetings,

The Wikimedia Foundation will soon turn on VisualEditor for all users, all the time on your Wikipedia. Right now your Wikipedia does not have any local documents on VisualEditor, and we hope that your community can change that. To find out about how you can help with translations visit the TranslationCentral for VisualEditor and read the easy instructions on bringing information to your Wikipedia. The User Guide and the FAQ are very important to have in your language.

We want to find out as much as we can from you about VisualEditor and how it helps your Wikipedia, and having local pages is a great way to start. We also encourage you to leave feedback on Mediawiki where the community can offer ideas, opinions, and point out bugs that may still exist in the software that need to be reported to Bugzilla. If you are able to speak for the concerns of others in English on MediaWiki or locally I encourage you to help your community to be represented in this process.

If you can help translate the user interface for VisualEditor to your language, you can help with that as well. Translatewiki has open tasks for translating VisualEditor. A direct link to translate the user interface is here. You can see how we are doing with those translations here. You need an account on Translatewiki to translate. This account is free and easy to create.

If we can help your community in any way with this process, please let me know and I will do my best to assist your Wikipedia with this exciting development. You can contact me on my meta talk page or by email. You can also contact Patrick Earley for help with translations and documents on Mediawiki. We look forward to working with you to bring the VisualEditor experience to your Wikipedia! Keegan (WMF) (talk) 22:18, 31 Siulai 2013 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor coming to this wiki[edit source]

Hello. Please excuse the English. I would be grateful if you can translate this message!

VisualEditor is coming to this project on December 2, 2013. VisualEditor is software in development to allow people to edit pages in MediaWiki without needing to learn wikitext syntax (like typing [[ to start a link). It is already available and in use on some Wikipedia projects. Please see mw:Help:VisualEditor/FAQ for more information.

When this software arrives, you will have the option to use it or to use the current wikitext editor. When you press “edit”, you will get the new VisualEditor software. To use the wikitext editor, you can press “edit source”. For more information about how to use VisualEditor, see mw:Help:VisualEditor/User guide.

We hope that this software will be useful to people in your community, and we can really use your help to make it better! Please let us know if you find any problems. If you're willing and able, please report the issue in bugzilla in the "VisualEditor" product. If you would prefer not, please explain the issue you found on the central feedback page on mediawiki.org. Once VisualEditor is made available, if there are any urgent problems, like an unexpected bug suddenly causing widespread severe problems, please e-mail James Forrester, the Product Manager, at jforrester@wikimedia.org for immediate attention.

We would also appreciate help with translation with the pages about VisualEditor here and on MediaWiki.org, and its user interface. To translate the user interface, start by creating an account at TranslateWiki. Once your account request is approved, all you need to do is select your language from this list. This will give you a list of individual lines and paragraphs. The English original will be on one side, with the option to “edit” on the other. Pressing “edit” will open an edit window where you can work.

The User Guide is another important document. To translate this, simply go to the MediaWiki.org page, and select “translate this page”. Your language should be available from the drop-down menu on the right. If you want to help with translations and would like to talk about how, please leave a message for me on my talk page.

Thank you, and happy editing! --Mdennis (WMF) (talk) 19:27, 19 Nōvema 2013 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor global newsletter—June 2014[edit source]

This is a one-time mailing to projects that may need this information. Future newsletters will be available as opt-in only. To receive future newsletters (about one per month), please add your page to the subscribers' list at m:VisualEditor/Newsletter. You're welcome to translate to your language.


VisualEditor-logo.svg
The character formatting menu

Did you know?

The character formatting menu, or "Style text" menu lets you set bold, italic, and other text styles. "Clear formatting" removes all text styles and removes links to other pages.

Do you think that clear formatting should remove links? Are there changes you would like to see for this menu? Share your opinion at MediaWiki.org.

The user guide has information about how to use VisualEditor.

The VisualEditor team is mostly working to fix bugs, improve performance, reduce technical debt, and other infrastructure needs. You can find on Mediawiki.org weekly updates detailing recent work.

  • They have moved the "Keyboard shortcuts" link out of the "Page options" menu, into the "Help" menu. Within dialog boxes, buttons are now more accessible (via the Tab key) from the keyboard.
  • You can now see the target of the link when you click on it, without having to open the inspector.
  • The team also expanded TemplateData: You can now add a parameter type  "date" for dates and times in the ISO 8601 format, and  "boolean" for values which are true or false. Also, templates that redirect to other templates (like {{citeweb}}{{cite web}}) now get the TemplateData of their target (bug 50964). You can test TemplateData by editing mw:Template:Sandbox/doc.
  • Category: and File: pages now display their contents correctly after saving an edit (bug 65349, bug 64239)
  • They have also improved reference editing: You should no longer be able to add empty citations with VisualEditor (bug 64715), as with references. When you edit a reference, you can now empty it and click the "use an existing reference" button to replace it with another reference instead. 
  • It is now possible to edit inline images with VisualEditor. Remember that inline images cannot display captions, so existing captions get removed. Many other bugs related to images were also fixed.
  • You can now add and edit {{DISPLAYTITLE}} and __DISAMBIG__ in the "Page options" menu, rounding out the full set of page options currently planned.
  • The tool to insert special characters is now wider and simpler.

Looking ahead[edit source]

The VisualEditor team has posted a draft of their goals for the next fiscal year. You can read them and suggest changes on MediaWiki.org.

The team posts details about planned work on VisualEditor's roadmap. You will soon be able to drag-and-drop text as well as images. If you drag an image to a new place, it won't let you place it in the middle of a paragraph. All dialog boxes and windows will be simplified based on user testing and feedback. The VisualEditor team plans to add autofill features for citations. Your ideas about making referencing quick and easy are still wanted. Support for upright image sizes is being developed. The designers are also working on support for viewing and editing hidden HTML comments and adding rows and columns to tables.

Supporting your wiki[edit source]

Please read VisualEditor/Citation tool for information on configuring the new citation template menu, labeled "⧼visualeditor-toolbar-cite-label⧽". This menu will not appear unless it has been configured on your wiki.

If you speak a language other than English, we need your help with translating the user guide. The guide is out of date or incomplete for many languages, and what's on your wiki may not be the most recent translation. Please contact us if you need help getting started with translation work on MediaWiki.org.

VisualEditor can be made available to most non-Wikipedia projects. If your community would like to test VisualEditor, please contact product manager James Forrester or file an enhancement request in Bugzilla.

Please share your questions, suggestions, or problems by posting a note at mw:VisualEditor/Feedback or by joining the office hours on Saturday, 19 July 2014 at 21:00 UTC (daytime for the Americas and Pacific Islands) or on Thursday, 14 August 2014 at 9:00 UTC (daytime for Europe, Middle East, Asia).

If you'd like to get this newsletter on your own page (about once a month), please subscribe at Meta (or at w:en:Wikipedia:VisualEditor/Newsletter for English Wikipedia only). Thank you! --Elitre (WMF), 22:33, 25 Sune 2014 (UTC)[reply]

Updates related to VisualEditor[edit source]

Please help translate this message in your language. Thanks :)

Hi, everybody. This is a reminder that we invite you to discuss VisualEditor's recent development and plans ahead during the next office hours with James Forrester (Product Manager):

If you are not able to attend but have a question for James, you can leave your question at mediawiki.org or on my talk page by the day before, and I will try to get a response. We plan to continue these monthly sessions as long as there is community interest, and to announce them through the VisualEditor global newsletter as well (please subscribe your talk page there to get the latest news about the software).

Most of the VisualEditor team will be at Wikimania in London in August! You'll be able to meet the developers during the Hackaton or at the following sessions:

WMF community liaisons will share a booth with community advocates at the Community Village and look forward to talking to you there. Thanks for your attention! --User:Elitre (WMF) 16:02, 31 Siulai 2014 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor global newsletter—July and August 2014[edit source]

VisualEditor-logo.svg

The VisualEditor team is currently working mostly to fix bugs, improve performance, reduce technical debt, and other infrastructure needs. You can find on Mediawiki.org weekly updates detailing recent work.

Screenshot of VisualEditor's link tool
Dialog boxes in VisualEditor have been re-designed to use action words instead of icons. This has increased the number of items that need to be translated. The user guide is also being updated.

The biggest visible change since the last newsletter was to the dialog boxes. The design for each dialog box and window was simplified. The most commonly needed buttons are now at the top. Based on user feedback, the buttons are now labeled with simple words (like "Cancel" or "Done") instead of potentially confusing icons (like "<" or "X"). Many of the buttons to edit links, images, and other items now also show the linked page, image name, or other useful information when you click on them.

  • Hidden HTML comments (notes visible to editors, but not to readers) can now be read, edited, inserted, and removed. A small icon (a white exclamation mark on a dot) marks the location of each comments. You can click on the icon to see the comment.
  • You can now drag and drop text and templates as well as images. A new placement line makes it much easier to see where you are dropping the item. Images can no longer be dropped into the middle of paragraphs.
  • All references and footnotes (<ref> tags) are now made through the "⧼visualeditor-toolbar-cite-label⧽" menu, including the "⧼visualeditor-dialogbutton-reference-tooltip⧽" (manual formatting) footnotes and the ability to re-use an existing citation, both of which were previously accessible only through the "Insert" menu. The "⧼visualeditor-dialogbutton-referencelist-tooltip⧽" is still added via the "Insert" menu.
  • When you add an image or other media file, you are now prompted to add an image caption immediately. You can also replace an image whilst keeping the original caption and other settings.
  • All tablet users visiting the mobile web version of Wikipedias will be able to opt-in to a version of VisualEditor from 14 August. You can test the new tool by choosing the beta version of the mobile view in the Settings menu.
  • The link tool has a new "Open" button that will open a linked page in another tab so you can make sure a link is the right one.
  • The "Cancel" button in the toolbar has been removed based on user testing. To cancel any edit, you can leave the page by clicking the Read tab, the back button in your browser, or closing the browser window without saving your changes.

Looking ahead[edit source]

The team posts details about planned work on the VisualEditor roadmap. The VisualEditor team plans to add auto-fill features for citations soon. Your ideas about making referencing quick and easy are still wanted. Support for upright image sizes is being developed. The designers are also working on support for adding rows and columns to tables. Work to support Internet Explorer is ongoing.

Feedback opportunities[edit source]

The Editing team will be making two presentations this weekend at Wikimania in London. The first is with product manager James Forrester and developer Trevor Parscal on Saturday at 16:30. The second is with developers Roan Kattouw and Trevor Parscal on Sunday at 12:30. There is a VisualEditor Translation Sprint going on during Wikimania; whether you're in London or not, any contributions are welcome!

Please share your questions, suggestions, or problems by posting a note at the VisualEditor feedback page or by joining the office hours discussion on Thursday, 14 August 2014 at 09:00 UTC (daytime for Europe, Middle East and Asia) or on Thursday, 18 September 2014 at 16:00 UTC (daytime for the Americas; evening for Europe).

If you'd like to get this newsletter on your own page (about once a month), please subscribe at w:en:Wikipedia:VisualEditor/Newsletter for English Wikipedia only or at Meta for any project. Thank you! --Elitre (WMF), 14:40, 9 ʻAokosi 2014 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor News #8—2014[edit source]

09:49, 13 ʻOkatopa 2014 (UTC)

VisualEditor News #9—2014[edit source]

23:29, 14 Nōvema 2014 (UTC)

VisualEditor News #10—2014[edit source]

19:00, 26 Tisema 2014 (UTC)

VisualEditor News #1—2015[edit source]

18:30, 5 Fēpueli 2015 (UTC)

VisualEditor News #2—2015[edit source]

19:48, 10 ʻEpeleli 2015 (UTC)

VisualEditor News #3—2015[edit source]

10:44, 13 Sune 2015 (UTC)

Content Translation beta-feature is now available[edit source]

Tool icon
How to use Content Translation - a short video (English)

Hello, Content Translation has now been enabled as an opt-in beta feature on the Tongan Wikipedia. To start translating:

  1. Please enable the Beta feature in your preferences by checking the box for Content Translation.
  2. Visit the page Special:ContentTranslation or to your contributions page to open the tool.
  3. Click on the blue button to create a new translation.
  4. A dialog will be displayed. In the From section select the language of the original article and the article name, and the language you would like to translate to. Also add the title of the new article (or the original title will be inserted) and click on Translate to begin. Your language preferences will be remembered for the next time.
  5. You will see a screen consisting of three columns. The left column contains the text of the source language and the middle column is for the translated text. Using the right column you can perform several actions such as insert source text, remove the inserted text source text, add or remove links etc.
  6. After you translate the article, you can publish it directly as a new page on the Tongan Wikipedia by using the publish button that appears. In case the article gets created by another user while you were translating, you will see an option to save the newly published translation under your user namespace.
  7. The number of published pages can be seen on the Content Translation stats page.

Since this is the first time we have installed the tool on this Wikipedia, there are chances that there may be some problems or service disruptions which we are not yet aware of. We will be monitoring the usage to check for any failures or issues, but please do let us know on the Content Translation talk page or through Phabricator if you spot any problems that prevent you from using the tool. For more information, please read the information available in the User Guide. Our announcement is written only in English, and we would really appreciate if this message can be translated to reach more users of this Wikipedia. Thank you. --KartikMistry (talk) 17:05, 16 Sune 2015 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor News #4—2015[edit source]

Elitre (WMF), 22:28, 14 ʻAokosi 2015 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor News #5—2015[edit source]

Elitre (WMF), 18:18, 30 ʻOkatopa 2015 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor News #6—2015[edit source]

Elitre (WMF), 00:06, 25 Tisema 2015 (UTC)[reply]

VisualEditor News #6—2015[edit source]

Elitre (WMF), 01:06, 25 Tisema 2015 (UTC)[reply]

Tongan is missing[edit source]

Tongan is missing from this page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/There_is_also_a_Wikipedia_in_your_language
More than 100 languages are now listed.
Thank you, Varlaam (talk) 02:56, 9 Fēpueli 2016 (UTC)[reply]

not any longer --Tauʻolunga (talk) 05:41, 9 Fēpueli 2016 (UTC)[reply]
Thanks very much for your help! Varlaam (talk) 01:41, 18 Fēpueli 2016 (UTC)[reply]

Editing News #3—2016[edit source]

17:50, 15 ʻOkatopa 2016 (UTC)

Editing News #1—2017[edit source]

18:05, 12 Mē 2017 (UTC)

ESEAP Conference 2018[edit source]

Hello Tongans Wikipedians, we would like to inform you that we propose the conference grants for our region, East, Southeast Asia and Pacific. It's including your region too. If you would like to involve more please join in our conference grants talk page and fill our survey too.--Beeyan (talk) 08:34, 17 ʻOkatopa 2017 (UTC)[reply]

Editing News #1—2018[edit source]

20:56, 2 Maʻasi 2018 (UTC)

Editing News #2—2018[edit source]

14:17, 2 Nōvema 2018 (UTC)

Editing News #1—July 2019[edit source]

18:32, 23 Siulai 2019 (UTC)

Editing News #2 – Mobile editing and talk pages[edit source]

11:12, 29 ʻOkatopa 2019 (UTC)

Editing news 2020 #1 – Discussion tools[edit source]

19:27, 8 ʻEpeleli 2020 (UTC)

Editing news 2020 #2[edit source]

20:33, 17 Sune 2020 (UTC)

Editing news 2020 #3[edit source]

12:55, 9 Siulai 2020 (UTC)

Invitation to join the UCoC Roundtable Discussions[edit source]

You are invited to participate in the Roundtable Discussions about how to enforce the Universal Code of Conduct within the Wikimedia movement. There are two Zoom calls scheduled at 15 May and 29 May, both at 15:00-16.30 UTC. Please sign your name here if you are interested. Should you have any questions, please contact RamzyM (WMF). Thank you! MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 21:48, 5 Mē 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Invitation to join the 12 June UCoC Roundtable discussion[edit source]

Dear Wikimedians: you are invited to participate in the next Roundtable discussion on the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). The next iteration would be held on Saturday, 12 June 2021, on 05.00-06.30 UTC (see your local time here). The forum would discuss how to enforce the Code of Conduct across Wikimedia projects and communities. Should you have any question, please direct it to Ramzy Muliawan. See you there! MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 09:44, 3 Sune 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Wikimania 2021: Individual Program Submissions[edit source]

Wikimania logo with text 2.svg

Dear all,

Wikimania 2021 will be hosted virtually for the first time in the event's 15-year history. Since there is no in-person host, the event is being organized by a diverse group of Wikimedia volunteers that form the Core Organizing Team (COT) for Wikimania 2021.

Event Program - Individuals or a group of individuals can submit their session proposals to be a part of the program. There will be translation support for sessions provided in a number of languages. See more information here.

Below are some links to guide you through;

Please note that the deadline for submission is 18th June 2021.

Announcements- To keep up to date with the developments around Wikimania, the COT sends out weekly updates. You can view them in the Announcement section here.

Office Hour - If you are left with questions, the COT will be hosting some office hours (in multiple languages), in multiple time-zones, to answer any programming questions that you might have. Details can be found here.

Best regards,

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 04:18, 16 Sune 2021 (UTC)[reply]

On behalf of Wikimania 2021 Core Organizing Team

Editing news 2021 #2[edit source]

14:14, 24 Sune 2021 (UTC)

Universal Code of Conduct News – Issue 2[edit source]

Universal Code of Conduct News
Issue 2, July 2021Read the full newsletter


Welcome to the second issue of Universal Code of Conduct News! This newsletter will help Wikimedians stay involved with the development of the new code and will distribute relevant news, research, and upcoming events related to the UCoC.

If you haven’t already, please remember to subscribe here if you would like to be notified about future editions of the newsletter, and also leave your username here if you’d like to be contacted to help with translations in the future.

  • Enforcement Draft Guidelines Review - Initial meetings of the drafting committee have helped to connect and align key topics on enforcement, while highlighting prior research around existing processes and gaps within our movement. (continue reading)
  • Targets of Harassment Research - To support the drafting committee, the Wikimedia Foundation has conducted a research project focused on experiences of harassment on Wikimedia projects. (continue reading)
  • Functionaries’ Consultation - Since June, Functionaries from across the various wikis have been meeting to discuss what the future will look like in a global context with the UCoC. (continue reading)
  • Roundtable Discussions - The UCoC facilitation team once again, hosted another roundtable discussion, this time for Korean-speaking community members and participants of other ESEAP projects to discuss the enforcement of the UCoC. (continue reading)
  • Early Adoption of UCoC by Communities - Since its ratification by the Board in February 2021, situations whereby UCoC is being adopted and applied within the Wikimedia community has grown. (continue reading)
  • New Timeline for the Interim Trust & Safety Case Review Committee - The CRC was originally expected to conclude by July 1. However, with the UCoC now expected to be in development until December, the timeline for the CRC has also changed. (continue reading)
  • Wikimania - The UCoC team is planning to hold a moderated discussion featuring representatives across the movement during Wikimania 2021. It also plans to have a presence at the conference’s Community Village. (continue reading)
  • Diff blogs - Check out the most recent publications about the UCoC on Wikimedia Diff blog. (continue reading)

Should you have any question regarding the UCoC, please direct it to the Movement Strategy & Governance facilitator for the ESEAP region, RamzyM (WMF).

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:12, 14 Siulai 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee[edit source]

Movement Strategy announces the Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee. The Call opens August 2, 2021 and closes September 1, 2021.

The Committee is expected to represent diversity in the Movement. Diversity includes gender, language, geography, and experience. This comprises participation in projects, affiliates, and the Wikimedia Foundation.

English fluency is not required to become a member. If needed, translation and interpretation support is provided. Members will receive an allowance to offset participation costs. It is US$100 every two months.

We are looking for people who have some of the following skills:

  • Know how to write collaboratively. (demonstrated experience is a plus)
  • Are ready to find compromises.
  • Focus on inclusion and diversity.
  • Have knowledge of community consultations.
  • Have intercultural communication experience.
  • Have governance or organization experience in non-profits or communities.
  • Have experience negotiating with different parties.

The Committee is expected to start with 15 people. If there are 20 or more candidates, a mixed election and selection process will happen. If there are 19 or fewer candidates, then the process of selection without election takes place.

Will you help move Wikimedia forward in this important role? Submit your candidacy starting from next week here. Please contact strategy2030Template:Atwikimedia.org or Ramzy Muliawan, Movement Strategy and Governance facilitator for the ESEAP region, with questions.

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:40, 30 Siulai 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Delay of the 2021 WMF Board of Trustees election[edit source]

Dear Wikimedians,

We are reaching out to you today regarding the 2021 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election. This election was due to open on August 4th. Due to some technical issues with SecurePoll, the election must be delayed by two weeks. This means we plan to launch the election on August 18th, which is the day after Wikimania concludes.

For information on the technical issues, you can see the Phabricator ticket.

We are truly sorry for this delay and hope that we will get back on schedule on August 18th. We are in touch with the Elections Committee and the candidates to coordinate next steps. We will update the Board election Talk page and Telegram channel as we know more.

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:07, 3 ʻAokosi 2021 (UTC)[reply]

More AU/NZ articles[edit source]

Hi. When I first got to this wiki, I noticed there was a lack of Australia and New Zealand articles. So, as an Aussie, I decided to start to create some more, especially because there a lot of Tongan people in Australia and New Zealand. I have already made; Senē (Sydney), Niukāsā (Newcastle), Niu Sauele (New South Wales), ‘Aositelēlia (Australia, I don't know why the page isn't linking) and Nuʻu Sila (New Zealand), but could somebody help me make a couple more and link the existing ones on Wikidata? Translations for place names can be found at the country article pages. Thanks. 120.156.26.225 22:05, 16 ʻAokosi 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Because you are not using the proper fakauʻa, but quotes. That is why: ʻAositelēlia.

Feel free to contribute useful articles about A & NZ. Although in my opinion a article that X is the capital of Y and has Z inhabitants, ko ia pē, is not very useful. Tauʻolunga (talk) 06:05, 19 ʻAokosi 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Universal Code of Conduct - Enforcement draft guidelines review[edit source]

The Universal Code of Conduct Phase 2 drafting committee would like comments about the enforcement draft guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). This review period is planned to begin 17 August 2021.

Community and staff members collaborated to develop these draft guidelines based on consultations, discussions, and research. These guidelines are not final but you can help move the progress forward. Provide comments about these guidelines by 17 October 2021. The committee will be revising the guidelines based upon community input.

Everyone may share comments in a number of places. Facilitators welcome comments in any language on the draft review talk page or by email. Comments can also be shared on talk pages of translations, at local discussions, or during round-table discussions and conversation hours.

There are planned live discussions about the UCoC enforcement draft guidelines:

Wikimania 2021 session - 16 August @ 11:00 UTC - 11:45 UTC
Conversation hours - 24 August, 31 August, 7 September @ 03:00 UTC & 14:00 UTC
Roundtable calls - 18 September @ 03:00 UTC & 15:00 UTC

The facilitation team supporting this review period hopes to reach a large number of communities. Having a shared understanding is important. If you do not see a conversation happening in your community, please organize a discussion. Facilitators can assist you in setting up the conversations.

Discussions will be summarized and presented to the drafting committee every two weeks. The summaries will be published here.

If you have any questions, please contact Ramzy Muliawan, the facilitator for ESEAP region.

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:51, 17 ʻAokosi 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Voting for the 2021 WMF Board of Trustees election is now open[edit source]

Voting for the 2021 Board of Trustees election is now open. Candidates from the community were asked to submit their candidacy. After a three week long Call for Candidates, there are 19 candidates for the 2021 election.

The Wikimedia movement has the opportunity to vote for the selection of community-and-affiliate trustees. By voting, you will help to identify those people who have the qualities to best serve the needs of the movement for the next several years. The Board is expected to select the four most voted candidates to serve as trustees. Voting closes 31 August 2021.

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the Wikimedia Foundation's operations. The Board wants to improve their competences and diversity as a team. They have shared the areas of expertise that they are currently missing and hope to cover with new trustees.

Learn more about candidates. Learn about the Board of Trustees. Vote.

Read the full announcement.

Best,

The Elections Committee

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 01:12, 18 ʻAokosi 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Tongan keyboard for Firefox[edit source]

Hi. So I am developing a keyboard for Mozilla Firefox in Tongan and I need help with words for the keyboard. Here is the link to the wordlist on Github. I would like people to add some Tongan words (including place names from Tonga and around the world, as well as Tongan cultural words) to the list of words in the dictionary so you can type in lea faka-Tonga on Firefox. You can create a pull request which I will approve. If you can speak lea faka-Tonga, please consider helping me with this project. Thanks. 153.107.193.213 02:32, 25 ʻAokosi 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Movement Charter Drafting Committee - Community Elections to take place October 11 - 24[edit source]

This is a short message with an update from the Movement Charter process. The call for candidates for the Drafting Committee closed September 14, and we got a diverse range of candidates. The committee will consist of 15 members, and those will be (s)elected via three different ways.

The 15 member committee will be selected with a 3-step process:

  • Election process for project communities to elect 7 members of the committee.
  • Selection process for affiliates to select 6 members of the committee.
  • Wikimedia Foundation process to appoint 2 members of the committee.

The community elections will take place between October 11 and October 24. The other process will take place in parallel, so that all processes will be concluded by November 1.

For the full context of the Movement Charter, its role, as well the process for its creation, please have a look at Meta. You can also contact us at any time on Telegram or via email (wikimedia2030@wikimedia.org).

Best regards, RamzyM (WMF) 08:55, 21 Sēpitema 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Select You the question statements for candidates of Drafting Committee Movement Charter[edit source]

Into 2021-10-04 11:59:59 UTC you can select question statements for the candidates of Drafting Committee Movement Charter. ✍️ Dušan Kreheľ (talk) 01:46, 30 Sēpitema 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Universal Code of Conduct Draft Enforcement Guidelines review still needs your ideas and opinions[edit source]

Hello, this is just a reminder that the Universal Code of Conduct Draft Enforcement Guidelines are open for review and comment. The Drafting Committee will start working on revisions and improvement in less than two weeks (October 17), so it is important that you give them your ideas and opinions soon!

There is now a short, simple version of the Draft Guidelines here to make your review easier. If possible, also help translate the short version into more languages!

We will also hold one last conversation hour on October 15, 2021 03:00 and 14:00 UTC.

On behalf of the Drafting Committee, much thanks to everyone who has given ideas so far. We hope to hear from more of you - the Guidelines will be much stronger if more opinions are included.

Best regards, RamzyM (WMF) 07:27, 6 ʻOkatopa 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Voting period to elect members of the Movement Charter Drafting Committee is now open[edit source]

Voting for the election for the members for the Movement Charter drafting committee is now open. In total, 70 Wikimedians from around the world are running for 7 seats in these elections. Voting is open from October 12 to October 24, 2021.

The committee will consist of 15 members in total: The online communities vote for 7 members, 6 members will be selected by the Wikimedia affiliates through a parallel process, and 2 members will be appointed by the Wikimedia Foundation. The plan is to assemble the committee by November 1, 2021.

Best,

Kaarel Vaidla
Movement Strategy & Governance Team, Wikimedia Foundation
10:35, 12 ʻOkatopa 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Universal Code of Conduct News – Issue 4[edit source]

Universal Code of Conduct News
Issue 4, October 2021Read the full newsletter


Welcome to the fourth issue of Universal Code of Conduct News! This newsletter will help Wikimedians stay involved with the development of the new code and will distribute relevant news, research, and upcoming events related to the UCoC.

If you haven’t already, please remember to subscribe here if you would like to be notified about future editions of the newsletter, and also leave your username here if you’d like to be contacted to help with translations in the future.

  • Enforcement Draft Guidelines Review Wrap-up - The Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Draft Guidelines Review will come to a close on 17 October 2021, after more than two months of extensive consultations. (continue reading)
  • Roundtable Discussions and Conversation Hours - Another successful roundtable session happened on September 18, 2021 to discuss the EDGR. One last conversation hour will be happening on October 15th, 2021. (continue reading)
  • Movement Charter Drafting Committee Elections - The Movement Charter Drafting Committee selection process has kicked off and will be open until October 25, 2021. Contributors to Wikimedia projects can elect their favorite candidates on to the committee. (continue reading)
  • New Direction for the Newsletter - As we round-up the consultation processes for the Universal Code of Conduct, the facilitation team is currently envisioning new directions for the newsletter. (continue reading)
  • Diff Blogs - Check out the most recent publications about the UCoC on Wikimedia Diff. (continue reading)

RamzyM (WMF) 18:25, 14 ʻOkatopa 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Learn how the Implementation Grants can support your Movement Strategy plans[edit source]

We are excited to announce the reopening of the Movement Strategy Implementation Grants. This program fund projects that advance a specific Movement Strategy initiative. The projects can be big or small, but they must all make a case for advancing one initiative.

Read all about it, what to apply for, and how to apply. Please do encourage others to apply as well.

Best regards, RamzyM (WMF) 10:22, 21 ʻOkatopa 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Meet the new Movement Charter Drafting Committee members[edit source]

The Movement Charter Drafting Committee election and selection processes are complete.

The committee will convene soon to start its work. The committee can appoint up to three more members to bridge diversity and expertise gaps.

If you are interested in engaging with Movement Charter drafting process, follow the updates on Meta and join the Telegram group.

With thanks from the Movement Strategy and Governance team

Best, RamzyM (WMF) 13:39, 1 Nōvema 2021 (UTC)[reply]

ESEAP Regional Education Meeting[edit source]

Join us for the 1st ESEAP Regional Education Meeting on 27th November 2021 at 7:00 UTC.

We are using this as an opportunity to strengthen the EduWiki network, explore collaboration opportunities, and identify common practices or challenges that are faced by our community members in different regions of the world. Learn and share your projects, tools, or ideas with the education community in the ESEAP region.

We are excited to hear from these wonderful speakers:

Education activities in Indonesia - Dimas Hardijanto, Deputy Coordinator of Education Program of Wikimedia Indonesia
Education activities in Australia - Alex Lum, President of Wikimedia Australia
Education activities in Malaysia - Dody Ismoyo, Wikimedia Community User Group Malaysia
Education activities in the Philippines - Imelda Brazal, EWOC Community Specialist - ESEAP Region

Read more about this event here: ESEAP Regional Meeting You may join as a sharer by adding your own agenda or send an email to dangbrazal@gmail.com to be included in the participants list.

Thank you.

Best,

EduWiki Outreach Collaborators Community Specialists Team

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:54, 23 Nōvema 2021 (UTC)[reply]

Closing the comment period for the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Draft Guidelines[edit source]

Thank you for your continued comments and ideas on the Universal Code of Conduct enforcement guidelines. Your responses have helped to build a stronger Universal Code of Conduct.

If you have not already provided your comments, now is the time as the drafting committee has been meeting to update the enforcement guidelines. The drafting committee wants to consider all comments as they make their updates. Please submit any comments by the end of November. The Committee hopes to finish its revisions before the end of the year, and the revised guidelines will be published as soon as they have been completed.

The next steps for the Universal Code of Conduct include conversations about ratification of the enforcement guidelines. There will be a conversation about ratification on November 29.

The Wikimedia Foundation will make recommendations to the Board of Trustees about the ratification of the guidelines in December. The recommendations will inform the next steps in the Universal Code of Conduct process.

Best, RamzyM (WMF) 08:57, 26 Nōvema 2021 (UTC)[reply]

#WikiForHumanRights Conversation Hour - ESEAP Communities[edit source]

#WikiForHumanRights is back!

We are calling all organizers, Wikimedia affiliates, and individuals to help us organize the WikiForHumanRights 2022 campaign this year, which focuses once again on the Right to a Healthy Environment, the newest human right to be recognized by the UN.

Interested but not sure how or what to do? Need help in getting started? Join our regional support hour for Asian communities and learn everything you need to know to begin taking action. We will have representatives from the community resource team talk about what you need to know about the funding opportunities for your campaign. You can read our new post on diff.

Date: January 29, 2022, Saturday
Time: 15:00 UTC+8:00
Zoom: https://wikimedia.zoom.us/j/86011791455

You may also write to campaigns@wikimedia.org or join the Telegram channel.


Best,

Foundation Programs Team

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:18, 28 Sānuali 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Upcoming Conversation Hours on 25 February and 4 March[edit source]

The Movement Strategy and Governance (MSG) team is hosting Conversation Hours on Universal Code of Conduct enforcement ratification on 25 February 2022 at 12:00 UTC and 4 March 2022 at 15:00 UTC.

Please sign-up for these conversation hours to interact with the project team and the drafting committee about the updated enforcement guidelines and the ratification process. See the Conversation Hour summaries for notes from 4 February 2022. For more information, contact either team by email: msg(_AT_)wikimedia.org or ucocproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org

Best, RamzyM (WMF) (talk) 03:35, 22 Fēpueli 2022 (UTC)[reply]

The Call for Feedback: Board of Trustees elections is now closed[edit source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

The Call for Feedback: Board of Trustees elections is now closed. This Call ran from 10 January and closed on 16 February 2022. The Call focused on three key questions and received broad discussion on Meta-wiki, during meetings with affiliates, and in various community conversations. The community and affiliates provided many proposals and discussion points. The reports are on Meta-wiki.

This information will be shared with the Board of Trustees and Elections Committee so they can make informed decisions about the upcoming Board of Trustees election. The Board of Trustees will then follow with an announcement after they have discussed the information.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the Call for Feedback to help improve Board election processes.

Best,

Movement Strategy and Governance

RamzyM (WMF) 08:39, 3 Maʻasi 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Invitation to Hubs event: Global Conversation on 2022-03-12 at 13:00 UTC[edit source]

Hello!

The Movement Strategy and Governance team of the Wikimedia Foundation would like to invite you to the next event about "Regional and Thematic Hubs". The Wikimedia Movement is in the process of understanding what Regional and Thematic Hubs should be. Our workshop in November was a good start (read the report), but we're not finished yet.

Over the last weeks we conducted about 16 interviews with groups working on establishing a Hub in their context (see Hubs Dialogue). These interviews informed a report that will serve as a foundation for discussion on March 12. The report is planned to be published on March 9.

The event will take place on March 12, 13:00 to 16:00 UTC on Zoom. Interpretation will be provided in French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, and Portuguese. Registration is open, and will close on March 10. Anyone interested in the topic is invited to join us. More information on the event on Meta-wiki.

Best regards,

Kaarel Vaidla
Movement Strategy

09:56, 7 Maʻasi 2022 (UTC)

Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement guidelines ratification voting open from 7 to 21 March 2022[edit source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hello everyone,

The ratification voting process for the revised enforcement guidelines of the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) is now open! Voting commenced on SecurePoll on 7 March 2022 and will conclude on 21 March 2022. Please read more on the voter information and eligibility details.

The Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) provides a baseline of acceptable behavior for the entire movement. The revised enforcement guidelines were published 24 January 2022 as a proposed way to apply the policy across the movement. You can read more about the UCoC project.

You can also comment on Meta-wiki talk pages in any language. You may also contact the team by email: ucocproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org

Sincerely,

Movement Strategy and Governance

Wikimedia Foundation

RamzyM (WMF) 00:41, 11 Maʻasi 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Leadership Development Working Group: Apply to join! (14 March to 10 April 2022)[edit source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hello everyone,

Thank you to everyone who participated in the feedback period for the Leadership Development Working Group initiative. A summary of the feedback can be found on Meta-wiki. This feedback will be shared with the working group to inform their work. The application period to join the Working Group is now open and will close on April 10, 2022. Please review the information about the working group, share with community members who might be interested, and apply if you are interested.

Thank you,

From the Community Development team

RamzyM (WMF) 16:12, 14 Maʻasi 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Join the Community Resilience and Sustainability Conversation Hour with Maggie Dennis[edit source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

The Community Resilience and Sustainability team at the Wikimedia Foundation is hosting a conversation hour led by its Vice President Maggie Dennis.

Topics within scope for this call include Movement Strategy, Board Governance, Trust and Safety, the Universal Code of Conduct, Community Development, and Human Rights. Come with your questions and feedback, and let's talk! You can also send us your questions in advance.

The meeting will be on 24 March 2022 at 15:00 UTC (check your local time).

You can read details on Meta-wiki.

Looking forward to seeing you on the call,

RamzyM (WMF) 13:18, 21 Maʻasi 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement guidelines ratification voting is now closed[edit source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Greetings,

The ratification voting process for the revised enforcement guidelines of the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) came to a close on 21 March 2022. Over 2300 Wikimedians voted across different regions of our movement. Thank you to everyone who participated in this process! The scrutinizing group is now reviewing the vote for accuracy, so please allow up to two weeks for them to finish their work.

The final results from the voting process will be announced here, along with the relevant statistics and a summary of comments as soon as they are available. Please check out the voter information page to learn about the next steps. You can comment on the project talk page on Meta-wiki in any language. You may also contact the UCoC project team by email: ucocproject(_AT_)wikimedia.org

Best regards,

Movement Strategy and Governance

RamzyM (WMF) 01:25, 25 Maʻasi 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Leadership Development Working Group: Reminder to apply by 10 April 2022[edit source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hello everyone,

The Community Development team at the Wikimedia Foundation is supporting the creation of a global, community-driven Leadership Development Working Group. The purpose of the working group is to advise leadership development work. Feedback was collected in February 2022 and a summary of the feedback is on Meta-wiki. The application period to join the Working Group is now open and is closing soon on April 10, 2022. Please review the information about the working group, share with community members who might be interested, and apply if you are interested.

Thank you,

From the Community Development team

RamzyM (WMF) 13:54, 31 Maʻasi 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Join the Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan conversations with Maryana Iskander[edit source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

Hello,

The Movement Communications and Movement Strategy and Governance teams invite you to discuss the 2022-23 Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan, a plan of record for the Wikimedia Foundation's work.

These conversations continue Maryana Iskander's Wikimedia Foundation Chief Executive Officer listening tour.

The conversations are about these questions:

  • The 2030 Wikimedia Movement Strategy sets a direction toward "knowledge as a service" and "knowledge equity". The Wikimedia Foundation wants to plan according to these two goals. How do you think the Wikimedia Foundation should apply them to our work?
  • The Wikimedia Foundation continues to explore better ways of working at a regional level. We have increased our regional focus in areas like grants, new features, and community conversations. What is working well? How can we improve?
  • Anyone can contribute to the Movement Strategy process. Let's collect your activities, ideas, requests, and lessons learned. How can the Wikimedia Foundation better support the volunteers and affiliates working in Movement Strategy activities?

You can find the schedule of calls on Meta-wiki.

The information will be available in multiple languages. Each call will be open to anyone to attend. Live interpretation will be available in some calls.

Best regards,

RamzyM (WMF) 15:54, 14 ʻEpeleli 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Movement Strategy and Governance News – Issue 6[edit source]

Movement Strategy and Governance News
Issue 6, April 2022Read the full newsletter


Welcome to the sixth issue of Movement Strategy and Governance News! This revamped newsletter distributes relevant news and events about the Movement Charter, Universal Code of Conduct, Movement Strategy Implementation grants, Board of trustees elections and other relevant MSG topics.

This Newsletter will be distributed quarterly, while the more frequent Updates will also be delivered weekly. Please remember to subscribe here if you would like to receive future issues of this newsletter.

  • Leadership Development - A Working Group is Forming! - The application to join the Leadership Development Working Group closed on April 10th, 2022, and up to 12 community members will be selected to participate in the working group. (continue reading)
  • Universal Code of Conduct Ratification Results are out! - The global decision process on the enforcement of the UCoC via SecurePoll was held from 7 to 21 March. Over 2,300 eligible voters from at least 128 different home projects submitted their opinions and comments. (continue reading)
  • Movement Discussions on Hubs - The Global Conversation event on Regional and Thematic Hubs was held on Saturday, March 12, and was attended by 84 diverse Wikimedians from across the movement. (continue reading)
  • Movement Strategy Grants Remain Open! - Since the start of the year, six proposals with a total value of about $80,000 USD have been approved. Do you have a movement strategy project idea? Reach out to us! (continue reading)
  • The Movement Charter Drafting Committee is All Set! - The Committee of fifteen members which was elected in October 2021, has agreed on the essential values and methods for its work, and has started to create the outline of the Movement Charter draft. (continue reading)
  • Introducing Movement Strategy Weekly - Contribute and Subscribe! - The MSG team have just launched the updates portal, which is connected to the various Movement Strategy pages on Meta-wiki. Subscriber to get up-to-date news about the various ongoing projects. (continue reading)
  • Diff Blogs - Check out the most recent publications about Movement Strategy on Wikimedia Diff. (continue reading)

RamzyM (WMF) 06:43, 16 ʻEpeleli 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Next steps: Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC) and UCoC Enforcement Guidelines[edit source]

The Community Affairs Committee of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees would like to thank everyone who participated in the recently concluded community vote on the Enforcement Guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC).

The volunteer scrutinizing group has completed the review of the accuracy of the vote and has reported the total number of votes received as 2,283. Out of the 2,283 votes received, a total of 1,338 (58.6%) community members voted for the enforcement guidelines, and a total of 945 (41.4%) community members voted against it. In addition, 658 participants left comments with 77% of the comments written in English.

We recognize and appreciate the passion and commitment that community members have demonstrated in creating a safe and welcoming culture that stops hostile and toxic behavior, supports people targeted by such behavior, and encourages good faith people to be productive on the Wikimedia projects.

Even at this incomplete stage, this is evident in the comments received. While the Enforcement Guidelines did reach a threshold of support necessary for the Board to review, we encouraged voters, regardless of which way they were voting, to provide feedback on the elements of the enforcement guidelines that they felt needed to be changed or fixed, as well as why, in case it seemed advisable to launch a further round of edits that would address community concerns.

Foundation staff who have been reviewing comments have advised us of some of the emerging themes, and as a result we have decided as Community Affairs Committee to ask the Foundation to reconvene the drafting committee and to undertake another community engagement to refine the enforcement guidelines based on the community feedback received from the recently concluded vote.

For clarity, this feedback has been clustered into 4 sections as follows:

  1. To identify the type, purpose, and applicability of the training;
  2. To simplify the language for easier translation and comprehension by non-experts;
  3. To explore the concept of affirmation, including its pros and cons;
  4. To review the conflicting roles of privacy/victim protection and right to be heard.

Other issues may emerge during conversations, and particularly as the draft Enforcement Guidelines evolve, but we see these as the primary areas of concern for voters and are asking staff to facilitate review of these issues. After further engagement, the Foundation should re-run the community vote to evaluate the revamped Enforcement Outline to see if the new document is then ready for its official ratification.

Further, we are aware of the concerns with the note 3.1 in the Universal Code of Conduct Policy. We are directing the Foundation to facilitate a review of this language to ensure that the Policy meets its intended purposes of supporting a safe and inclusive community, without waiting for the planned review of the entire Policy at the end of year.

Again, we thank all who participated, thinking about these critical and difficult challenges and contributing to better approaches across the movement to working together well.

Best,

Rosie

Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight (she/her)
Acting Chair, Community Affairs Committee
Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

RamzyM (WMF) 02:39, 25 ʻEpeleli 2022 (UTC)[reply]

2022 Board of Trustees Call for Candidates[edit source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

The Board of Trustees seeks candidates for the 2022 Board of Trustees election. Read more on Meta-wiki.

The 2022 Board of Trustees election is here! Please consider submitting your candidacy to serve on the Board of Trustees.

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the Wikimedia Foundation's operations. Community-and-affiliate selected trustees and Board-appointed trustees make up the Board of Trustees. Each trustee serves a three year term. The Wikimedia community has the opportunity to vote for community-and-affiliate selected trustees.

The Wikimedia community will vote to fill two seats on the Board in 2022. This is an opportunity to improve the representation, diversity, and expertise of the Board as a team.

Who are potential candidates? Are you a potential candidate? Find out more on the Apply to be a Candidate page.

Thank you for your support,

Movement Strategy and Governance on behalf of the Elections Committee and the Board of Trustees

RamzyM (WMF) 15:47, 25 ʻEpeleli 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Editing news 2022 #1[edit source]

Read this in another languageSubscription list for this multilingual newsletter

New editors were more successful with this new tool.

The New topic tool helps editors create new ==Sections== on discussion pages. New editors are more successful with this new tool. You can read the report. Soon, the Editing team will offer this to all editors at the 20 Wikipedias that participated in the test. You will be able to turn it off at Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing-discussion.

Whatamidoing (WMF) 18:55, 2 Mē 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Call for volunteers: 2022 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election[edit source]

<languages/> The Movement Strategy and Governance team is looking for community members to serve as election volunteers in the upcoming Board of Trustees election.

The idea of the Election Volunteer Program came up during the 2021 Wikimedia Board of Trustees Election. This program turned out to be successful. With the help of Election Volunteers we were able to increase outreach and participation in the election by 1,753 voters over 2017. Overall turnout was 10.13%, 1.1 percentage points more, and 214 wikis were represented in the election.

But a total of 74 wikis that did not participate in 2017 produced voters in the 2021 election. Can you help change the participation?

Election volunteers will help in the following areas:

  • Translate short messages and announce the ongoing election process in community channels
  • Optional: Monitor community channels for community comments and questions

Volunteers should:

  • Maintain the friendly space policy during conversations and events
  • Present the guidelines and voting information to the community in a neutral manner

Do you want to be an election volunteer and ensure your community is represented in the vote? Sign up here to receive updates. You can use the talk page for questions about translation.

Best regards,

RamzyM (WMF) 10:15, 5 Mē 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Announcing the members of the Leadership Development Working Group[edit source]

Hello all,

Following up my previous message about the Leadership Development Working Group: the Community Development Team has completed the candidate selection process and is happy to announce fifteen volunteers that are beginning work on this project.

Thank you for your support and participation throughout the process!

For the Community Development team,

RamzyM (WMF) 16:25, 12 Mē 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Updates on the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Guidelines[edit source]

Hello all,

I’d like to share an update on the work on the Enforcement Guidelines for the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC):

Please let me know if you have any questions about these next steps.

On behalf of the UCoC Project team,
RamzyM (WMF) 12:46, 30 Mē 2022 (UTC)[reply]

2022 Board of Trustees Call for Candidates[edit source]

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

The 2022 Board of Trustees election Call for Candidates has now closed. This Call led 12 candidates from the community to submit their applications. Learn more about the 2022 Board of Trustees candidates.

The Analysis Committee will now consider the candidates’ applications with the skills and criteria provided by the Board. The trustees seek certain skills and competencies to improve the capacity of the Board. After the Analysis Committee completes their review, the ratings of each candidate will be published. These ratings are for informational purposes only.

For more information about the 2022 Board election, you may find the timeline, voting information and other ways to get involved on Meta-wiki.

Thank you for your support,

Movement Strategy and Governance on behalf of the Elections Committee and the Board of Trustees

RamzyM (WMF) 03:56, 1 Sune 2022 (UTC)[reply]